The most comprehensive German <-> English reference work from PONS, with 930, 000 headwords, phrases and translations!
Do you read and write English or German texts, newspapers and magazines?
Or do you frequently check on a word whilst reading or writing e-mails, letters, presentations, trade articles in English or German…focusing on the widest range of topics?
The German <-> English PREMIUM dictionary from PONS has been designed for professionals and offers quick and reliable help!
Who can really benefit from this app?
Professional users, such as teachers, students, translators, engineers, lawyers, computer scientists, medical experts, etc. (the most comprehensive vocabulary collection that PONS has to offer)
About the contents:
• Current and comprehensive vocabulary containing more than 390, 000 headwords and phrases and more than 540, 000 translations
• With professional terminology from the worlds of business, computer science, law and natural sciences – the perfect aid for everyday business use
• Detailed examples of context and information about language usage
• Inclusion of all styles: from colloquial to literary
• Detailed examination of British and American language usage and of the regional differences in language that prevail in Austria and Switzerland
• Particularly well-structured layout with comprehensive entries
• Bi-directional: German => English and English => German
• With IPA phonetics
What can the app do?
• Look up unfamiliar words directly from the home screen. The dictionary provides translations in a Quick Search Box alongside other search results.*
• Morphology module helps to translate words in any grammatical form (available for English).
• Search by voice. Speak your queries instead of typing words in a dictionary (available for phones with Google voice recognition service).
• Sound modules let you listen to pronunciation of selected words in live speech quality.
• List of similarly spelt words is displayed in case of misspelling.
• Find the word even if you don’t know its exact spelling using wildcards ("*", "?" replace a letter and group of letters).
• Word of the day widget displays a random entry from the dictionary daily.
• Paragon keyboard provides accurate text input. **
• Installation on memory cards.
* To turn on this option, install a dictionary. Then go to Menu->Settings->Search->Searchable items and mark the dictionary.
** For keyboard activation: press and hold ‘123’ button at Standard keyboard -> Select Input Method -> Paragon keyboard.
Is the size of the dictionary right for me?
50, 000 headwords and phrases
Ideal for everyday and leisure use (the most important vocabulary)
75, 000 headwords and phrases
Ideal for adults who want to learn the language or for use at language schools/adult education centres
130, 000 headwords and phrases
Ideal for everyday, leisure and business use (medium-sized vocabulary)
130, 000 headwords and phrases.
Ideal for students from 5th grade up to graduation
315, 000 headwords and phrases
Ideal for everyday, leisure and business use (large vocabulary)
345, 000 headwords and phrases
Ideal for everyday and business use (large vocabulary featuring a wide range of business terms)
390, 000 headwords and phrases
Ideal for professional users, such as teachers, students, translators, engineers, lawyers, computer scientists, medical experts, etc. (the most comprehensive vocabulary collection that PONS has to offer)